Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Finally Completed My Laptop Mouse/KB set using Logitech Unifying Technology


Logitech-Unifying-Receiver_1

So my laptop was equipped with Bluetooth, I was thinking of using Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to save an USB port. But it looks like there are a couple issues:

1. Price. Bluetooth mouse and keyboard are pretty expensive, I’m not willing to spent so much.
2. Battery Life. Bluetooth radio, at least v2.0 consumes too much energy.
3. Performance. Looks like I can’t find a single good Bluetooth mouse on the market based on the reviews I have read. Most of the issues are connections, it appears Bluetooth tend to drop connections more often.

So I have to go back to the traditional 2.4G RF route. I’ve been using a Logitech M310 mouse for months now. It does support Logitech’s Unifying technology, just look for the unifying logo. It’s just that the mouse doesn’t come with a Unifying dongle. Last week, Staples offer a cheap K360 keyboard, so I was able to complete my Mouse/KB combo. The pairing of unifying devices are super simple, all you have to do is to download the software, turn off/on the devices, and you are all set. It’s far easier than Bluetooth, so I was pretty impressed. Also the unifying dongle performs the same as the non-unifying dongle with great range.

The K360 features a laptop like chiclet keyboard, very compact. It has exactly the same layout as on my SONY laptop, including the sucking PgUp and PgDn. But I guess it’s a good thing, I don’t have to get used to yet another layout. The FN function keys it provided performs a different set of task than my laptop keyboard. And there are six multimedia keys which are good compliment to the laptop keyboard. The only thing it’s missing is the backlight. But currently only K800 has that feature, and that’s $80 which is way too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment